Masonic Centers of Northern India
Masonic Center of India – New Delhi. The Headquarters of the Grand Lodge of India
The Masonic Centre of India is housed in a 2.5 acres premises popularly known as Freemasons’ Hall, Janpath, New Delhi, near Jantar Mantar and next to Imperial Hotel. Freemasons’ Hall is owned, managed and maintained by The Masonic Fraternity of New Delhi, a Company registered under Section 8 (earlier Section 25) of the Companies Act. It was incorporated in November 1925. The main building of the Freemasons’ Hall, constructed in year 1936, is now declared a Heritage Building.
The Freemasons’ Hall has 4 Masonic Temples, 2 Banquet Halls, 4 meeting/committee rooms and lounges. 49 Craft Lodges and 20 Chapters, 20 Mark Lodges & 17 RAM Lodges hold their meetings. On an average three to four meetings are held every day.
The other buildings in the Centre include the headquarters of the Freemasonry in India i.e. The Grand Lodge of India as well as the headquarters of the Region, The Regional Grand Lodge of Northern India. There is a Fraternity Club – a club exclusively for Freemasons. Gen. Williams Masonic Polyclinic, a very reputed diagnostic & therapeutic polyclinic in New Delhi, and one of the most prominent charitable Project of Freemasons in the country is also located here. Very recently the Masonic Eye Centre with state of the art diagnostic equipment and an Operation Theatre for Cataract surgeries has been added in the Centre.
With sprawling, manicured lawns, and ample parking space in the middle of Connaught Place, the busy Central Business District of New Delhi, it is one of the most beautiful & well-maintained Masonic Centres of India. It has also been declared as heritage building.
Other Centers across Northern India – Arranged as per Lodge Number
The first and foremost being the oldest Lodge in Northern India located at ALLAHABAD owned/leased by LODGE INDEPENDENCE WITH PHILANTHROPY NO.2. This Lodge is situated on Kuchery Road, Allahabad. It is the oldest operational lodge. It was consecrated in the year 1828 and was warranted on 26th August, 1828. It has a history of almost 200 years. The building and the temple are situated in what could easily be a Heritage building. The main hall’s ceiling is so designed that the sound from the western chair reaches clearly to the Eastern chair (and vice versa) even if whispered. The dynamics of sound were well thought of while designing the temple. They are also maintaining the museums which have the records since 1857. Antiques are also displayed in the museums. In 2005 the lodge suffered structurally and it was reconstructed by the members of the lodge. Rudyard Kipling and Pandit Motilal Nehru were among the many prominent and active members of this lodge. The oldest furniture that is present in the lodge is actually more than 200 years old.
Lodge Hope No.4 is situated on Roorkee Road, Meerut. This lodge was consecrated on 28th May, 1833 and warranted on 25th May, 1833. This lodge was consecrated on a warrant issued by Prince Augustus Fredrick of Brunswick, Lunenburgh, Duke of Susssex, Earl of Inverness, Baven of Applew , Knight of the most noble order of the greater Grand Master of the Most Ancient and Honorable fraternity of free and accepted Masons of England in the year 1833 at the humble petition of the beloved Brethren George Playfair, John Samuel Marshell, James Rodgers, J. Harcourt, Robert J Khox, J. Hunter, Edward Campbell under the little denomination of
Lodge Morning Star No.7 is situated in Sarojini Naidu Marg, Lucknow. This lodge was consecrated in the year 1848 and warrant was on 29th February, 1848. The regular meeting takes place on 1st Saturday of every month and installation takes place in the month of March.
Lodge Independence No.33 is situated in Masonic Temple, Rama Tirtha Marg, Lucknow. This lodge was consecrated on 7th August, 1879 and warrant was on 1st August, 1879.
Lodge Charity, No.8 on the rolls of Grand Lodge of the India, is situated in Ambala Cantt . Lodge was founded on 25th April, 1849 and these premises were purchased in 1899. The original number of the lodge was 723 which were rated to 563 EC. The lodge joined the Grand Lodge of India in 1961 when Grand Lodge was founded and No.8 was allotted to this lodge on the basis of Seniority. In 1895, the first Indian initiate was Sdr. Mukha Singh Ji and 1935 R.W.Bro.R.S. Khanna was the first Indian Secretary and the W.Master of this lodge.
Lodge Dalhousie No.10 is situated Near Bus Stand, Mussoorie. This lodge was consecrated in the year of 1854 and warrant was issued on 31st August, 1854. The Lodge’s building was among the first few to be allotted an electricity connection and the electric meter installed there bears testimony to that. The regular meeting of this lodge takes place on 1st Saturday (March to December) and installation takes place in month of October.
Lodge Rock of Gwalior No.16 is situated in 53, Shastri Marg, Gwalior.This lodge was consecrated on 5th June, 1865. This lodge was warranted on 30th May, 1865. Regular meetings are held on 3rd Friday of every month and installation on the month of January.
Qudsia Bagh, Delhi
Lodge Jumna No.18 is situated in Qudsia Garden near Kasmere Gate ISBT, New Delhi. This lodge was consecrated on 15th March, 1872 and warrant was on 15th January, 1872. The regular meeting of this lodge takes place on 1st Saturday of every month and installation takes place in the month of January.
Lodge Northern Star No.21 is situated on 6A, The Mall, Ferozepur Cantt. This lodge was warranted on 17th October, 1873. The regular meeting of this lodge is on 1st Monday of every month and installation in month of February.
The Masonic Centre of India is located in Janpath, New Delhi. And this is the Head Quarters of the Grand Lodges of India. There are many lodges that meet regularly at this place.
GENERAL WILLIAMS MASONIC POLYCLINIC that is managed here was established in 1972 is a self- contained modern diagnostic centre. It is being managed by General William Masonic Polyclinic & Dispensary Management Association, a body registered under the Societies Registration Act. Well equipped with state of the Art Technology, the Polyclinic has developed into a centre of excellence –covering wide variety of investigations.
Lodge Rohilla Star No.35 is situated in Faridabad. This lodge was consecrated in the year 1879 on 10th September in Bareilly that was bought to Faridabad in 1967 by the efforts of senior Bro.R.W. Prem Son, R.W.Sushil Chand, R.W. Narender Singh Sodi. In Faridabad Bro. Premson was the 1st Master of this lodge. The lodge was aligned in 1984 by Godda but couldn’t take the position until 2007. The lodge building’s construction was started in 2007. The building was completed in 2010. The temple was consecrated in 2013. After this they started a charitable dispensary since 2013 wherein services and consultations in the field of Allopathic, Homeopathic, Physiotherapy and Dental were offered.
The Lodge “Star of Agra”, with the original Warrant No.1936 E.C. now No.36 on the Roles of the Grand Lodge of India, working at Agra. The flame of Masonry was lit bright at Agra in as early as 1826, which makes this station a pioneer and an important Masonic center, in Northern India.This fact also is a matter of great privilege and pride for the Brethren of this old and historic city of Agra.
The Lodge Star of Agra was consecrated on 8th August, 1881 at that time consecrated under the English Constitution. This building was purchased in 1905.
The Lodge runs various charitable projects including Homeopathic Dispensary, Ayurvedic Dispensary & Physiotherapy Centre. The regular meeting of this lodge takes place on 2nd Friday of every month and installation on month of January
Lodge Fidelity No.40 is situated in Masonic Lodge Building, Behind Moradabad Club, Moradabad-244001. This lodge was consecrated on 9th May,1884 and warrant was on 9th May,1884.The regular meeting of this lodge takes place on 3rd Wednesday of every month and installation takes place in month of March. It was bought to Moradabad in the year 1947 By His Highness Sir Raza Ali Khan, Nawab of Rampur. He was the first Worshipful Master. He was also the Master of Grand Lodge of India. This lodge has 42 brothers at present and shall be celebrating Centenary Function next year.
Lodge Friendship No.47 is situated in Golf Course Road, Ajmer on the rolls of Grand Lodge of India. In the past it was lodge no.2307 under English Constitution This lodge was consecrated on 24 November, 1888 and the warrant was on 27th February, 1889. The regular meeting takes place on 1st Saturday of every month (except in March, 2nd Saturday). The existing lodge building was constructed in the year 1923 on 11th August. The lodge was stationed at Sri Nagar Road prior to this building. Chief Architect of the building was worshipful Bro. AJM and superintendent was Worshipful Bro. G Gupta. The ceremony was conducted by Worshipful Bro. N S Goya. The crown of the dome of Dargah Sharif was donated by first Grand Master of India Sir Raza Ali Khan, Nawab of Rampur. The said crown was made of 150kg of pure gold.
Charitable projects: Homeopathic dispensary and Polyclinic.
Lodge Ganges No.48 is situated on 96, M Gandhi Road, Kanpur. This lodge was consecrated in the year 1890, on 1st August and warranted on 12th December, 1889. Lodge was sponsored by Harmony No 438 DC. This lodge was consecrated and constructed in the year 1904. W.M. Bro S. M Bhaseer was one of the main persons and because of his effort this lodge was constructed. The entire furniture present in this lodge was imported from England. Pandit Moti Lal Nehru was also the member of this lodge. Plans are on for making the banquet hall and air conditioning. The regular meetings take place on 2nd Saturday of every month and installation on month of January.
Lodge Ligoneir No.51 is situated on 49, Shakti Marg, Mathura Cantt. This lodge’s warrant was issued on 6th August, 1892. The regular meeting of this lodge takes place on 2nd Saturday of every month (except May, June & July) and installation takes place in month of November.
Lodge Excelsior No.60 is situated near Rly. Powerhouse, Kalka. This lodge was consecrated on 2nd October, 1900 and warranted on 5th July, 1877. The regular meeting in this lodge takes place on 3rd Saturday of every month and installation in the month of November.
Lodge Shiwalik Dr.Durga Prasad No.62 is in Dehradun. By the efforts of some zealous Masons of Lodge Dalhousie 639 E.C.Mussorie and others, a new lodge, Shiwalik no.239 E.C. was founded on 23rd February,1903. W.Bro. Rew Franl Harold Surridge of Lodge Dalhousie was installed as the first Worshipful Master by consecrating Officer W.Bro Lt.Col. JH Bear, PDG. The Lodge functioned in a rented building situated at Dila Ram Bazar up to the year 1912. W.Bro. Tikka Raghunath Singh became the first Indian to be installed as Master of this Lodge in 1916. R.W.Bro.Dr.Durga Prasad had the honor of being the third Indian to occupy the Masters chair in 1933. The first meeting under Indian Constitution was held on 21st December, 1961, after the Creation of Grand Lodge of India on 24th November, 1961.
Lodge Comrades No.66 is situated on Rajoria Marg, Saharanpur. This lodge was consecrated on 12th October 1904 and warrant was dated 5th July, 1904. The regular meeting of this lodge takes place on 3rd Wednesday of every month and installation takes place in the month of January. Enthused by the spirit of masonry the late W.Bro.BkBomanji, a very zealous member of the Fraternity, along with a dozen others, equally zealous in Masonic pursuits, helped the temple to be consecrated at Saharanpur on 12th October in the year 1904. W.Bro Durga Charan Banerji P.D.G.S.W assisted W.Bro. R.H.M. Banerjee then secretary District Grand Lodge of Bengal consecrated the temple. New temple was erected on piece of land purchased by it and moved into it in the year 1922. The new temple was consecrated by W.Bro Dlandale Johnson P.D.G.M Bengal. A unique event of his year of reign was the initiation by him of his of his own father Bro. Mohan Lal at the age of 68 years on 20th January in the year 1932. It is generally accepted by all hands that the event where son initiated his own father into the mysteries of craft is unprecedented in the Masonic World. His Highness Sir Raza Ali Khan of Nawab of Rampur joined this lodge on 16th November, 1932 and served the same through the Eastern chair in the year 1934.
Three Lodges, Lodge Prospect #92, Himparbat #233 & Kinner Kailash #320 meet in this historic building on the Ridge, Shimla. The oldest and largest Lodge in the Punjab was the Masonic Lodge Himalayan Brotherhood – founded in 1838. Clothed in mysterious rituals, the Indians regarded Freemasons as ‘Jadoogurs’ or magicians who must have had dealings with the devil!
The first Lodge at Shimla was built in 1846. With the dilapidation of this lodge, over the following decades, masonic meetings were held in hired rooms, private homes and the Town Hall. The present Masonic Temple was erected in place of ‘Quarry’ which was the property of trustees of Shimla Union Church. The Brotherhood purchased and demolished Quarry in 1906. The present temple was constructed and the first meeting was held there on December 1, 1907.
Lodge Universal Brotherhood is No.100 on the rolls of Grand Lodge of India. It is situated on Jail Road, Amritsar. It was established on 18th February, 1922 and warranted on 4th August, 1921. The Municipal Community gave the Maharaja Ranjit Singh Summer Palace in the Company Bagh to three organizations, i.e. Rotary, India Medical Association Doctors and the Freemasons Lodge, at a very nominal lease. The regular meeting of this lodge takes place on 1st Saturday of every month and installation in the month of February.
Lodge Kohinoor No.139 is situated in Kaisagarh, J.L.N.Marg, Jaipur. This lodge was consecrated on 27th February, 1961 and warranted on 5th November, 1959. A lot of credit for Lodge maintenance goes to Bro. Inder Mohan Singh Nagpal. At present the Lodge premises are on rent. The regular meeting of this lodge takes place on 3rd Saturday of every month and installation in month of January.
Lodge Kumaon No.148 is situated in Nanital. This lodge was consecrated on 12th July, 1880 and warrant was issued on 12th July, 1880. The regular meeting takes place on 3rd Saturday from March and November (1st Sunday in December) and installation takes place in month of April.
Lodge General William No.151 is situated in Roorkee. This lodge was consecrated on 26th March, 1963 and warranted on 21st October, 1962. The regular meeting of this lodge takes place on 3rd Saturday of every month and installation takes place in month of March. The first W.M. was Bro. General William. They have projects of Homeopathic and Physiotherapy running at the Lodge. They are planning to add some more facilities in term of Dentistry and Eye clinic.
Lodge Harmandir Sahib No.170 is situated at 40, Bhagat Road, Jalandhar. They conduct their ritual meetings every month and this lodge is a rented premises. All their meetings involve the presence of Ladies during the Festive Board, along with their families. This lodge was consecrated on 6th April, 1980 and warranted on 21st March, 1980. The regular meeting of this lodge takes place on 1st Saturday of every month and installation takes place in the month of October.
Lodge Vishwakarma Trust No.173 is situated at Kartar Singh Sarabha, Ludhiana. This lodge was consecrated on 9th December,1965 and warranted on 14th August,1965. The regular meeting take place on 3rd Saturday of every month (January, February, December on 3rd Saturday) and installation takes place in every November. The foundation stone of the new building was laid by the Most worshipful Jamnavihar Masurekar, Most Worshipful the Grand Master of Grand Lodge of India on 9th December, 2014. The foundation Stone ceremony was held in a very creative manner as per the rituals of Grand Lodge of India. Maintenance part of the polyclinic is of very high standards, and not less than any International Polyclinic. They have two polyclinics i.e. Physiotherapy and Dental Clinic.
Lodge Light of Aligarh No.219 meets at the Masonic Temple at Asadpur Kayam. The light of freemasonry was first lit in Aligarh in the year 1900, when a few enthusiastic masons made a petition on 15th August, 1900. Lodge Koil No. 2831 EC was warranted on 20th October, 1900. On 21st October, 1972 R.W. Bro. Sitaram Jaipuria OSM, R.W. The Regional Grand Master of Northern India, mooted the idea of bringing Freemasonry again to Aligarh. It was on 13th April, 1974 that the Lodge Light of Aligarh No.219 was petitioned. The lodge was consecrated on 6th May, 1976 and warranted on 5th August, 1974.
Lodge Jailene No.230 is situated in Ghaziabad. This lodge was consecrated on 27th February, 1977 and warranted on 1st February, 1977. The regular meeting of this lodge takes place on 2nd Saturday of every month and installation takes place in month of October.
Lodge Nityanand No.330 is situated in Hisar. The idea of operating a lodge in this remote part of Haryana was proposed by then Grand Master M.W. Bro. Hari Parsad Mathur and R.W.Bro. Vishwa Mittar Bali. Accordingly, the date of warrant was 15th January 2002 and the Lodge was consecrated on 25th January, 2002. The lodge meets regularly on 3rd Saturday of every month. The lodge holds its installation meetings in February every year. At least two meetings in a year are ladies’ evenings and the gracious ladies are also invited to join at the banquet table. The Lodge holds charity projects every year in way of distributing Woolen Clothes, Stationery Items to the needy and the poor students of the school.
This building is home to the Amrit Masonic Spastic Society which runs a school for children with special needs on the ground floor. On the first floor they have a Unit of General William Masonic Polyclinic. Facilities available are Dental Surgeon, Physiotherapist and Blood Collection Center. On the second floor of the building there is a temple where three craft Lodges, i.e. Swarn Jayanti #312, Mayur #333 and Panipat Heroes #381, and three higher degree Lodges meet. The was completely refurbished in July 2019.